Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spell It Out

Today, a scene:

Student: How do you spell "sincerely"?
Me: How do you think you spell "sincerely"?
Student: I have no idea.
Me: Does it start with a B?
Student: Well, no. It starts with an S.
Me: So you do have some idea.
Student: Yeah, I guess so.
Me: Give it a shot. I won't tell you if you're right or wrong until after you give it a shot.

Student resembles a spelling bee contestant for a minute or two, toying with letters, debating between i and e after that initial s, sounding it out in his head, scratching down letters and erasing them. When he's got a full attempt, I take a look: "sencerely." So close.


Me:
Good.

I write "Sincerely" on the whiteboard behind him.

Me: Most people who tell me that they "have no idea how to spell a word" are usually one, maybe two letters off when they actually try and spell the word. You were close.

No comments: