Thursday, July 10, 2008

How to (Completely) Write a Paragraph

I helped a student, Lulu, on a summary paragraph today, which lead to a discussion on paragraphs in general, which lead me to the whiteboard and outlining the pieces of a PIE (Point-Illustration-Explanation) paragraph in orange marker. Here is what I left behind on the board after Lulu departed and I went off to talk to a Student Success class about plagiarism and research:

Point: the idea of the paragraph
Illustration: evidence, details, examples (specifics)
Explanation: what you want your reader to see in those specifics


And here is the addendum I found below these three pieces of a paragraph when I returned from introducing brand new and nearly-brand new Pima students to quotes and paraphrases, a fourth step (not so much a piece of a paragraph, but a progression in controlling the idea of the paragraph):

Destroy: those who do not like your work!!
BWAHAHA!!!

Thank you, Adam. Thank you.

No comments: